Patients undergoing operations must place substantial trust in the hands of their surgeon and medical team. Surgeons are specialists who must apply their best abilities, judgment and effort in each procedure, because the patient’s life is often at stake. When a surgeon or a member of the surgical team violates that trust by behaving negligently or irresponsibly resulting in harm to the patient, it is a form of medical malpractice. The patient, or the patient’s family if the patient’s injury is debilitating or fatal, has the right to file a claim against one or more members of the medical team or the hospital responsible for the harm. This claim could result in the patient receiving compensation for medical bills, loss of income, additional financial burdens and damages for pain and suffering.
Common surgical errors include:
- Wrong-site surgery (wrong body part)
- Wrong surgical procedure
- Surgical instrument left in the body
- Wrong patient surgery
- Surgery unrelated to the patient’s diagnosis
- Performance of unnecessary surgery
- Other mistakes made before or during surgery or post-operation
There are many actions for a surgeon and medical team to take that will help prevent surgical errors, including:
- Thorough review of the patient to determine if surgery is necessary
- Communication between members of the medical staff
- Thorough review of a patient’s medical history
- Complete review of surgery plan
- Verification of information with patient
If you or a family member are the victim of a surgical error, please contact our office and speak with a member of the firm. The applicable statute of limitations is likely already running, so timing can be critically important to your case. Contact us today for a free, no obligation, confidential legal consultation.
Inland Empire & Southern California Malpractice Attorneys Located in Redlands, CA Serving clients in: San Bernardino County | Riverside County | Los Angeles County | Orange County | San Diego County
Raynes Erickson, Attorneys at Law focuses its practice on the legal representation of clients who are victims of medical malpractice, catastrophic injury, or wrongful death. Contact us today to learn more about your legal rights and how our litigation team can help you receive the compensation you deserve.