How To Choose A Lawyer
Choosing a Good lawyer is an important process. If you find yourself about to walk into a legal matter, you want someone that you can trust and that will help you navigate some very technical and possibly length issues. Finding not only a good lawyer but the right lawyer for you is critical.
Start Doing your research
One of the first steps, as with any time you will require service, is to start doing your research. One of the best ways to find out if a lawyer is good or not is to ask for recommendations from your friends and family. If they enjoyed working with the lawyer, there is a good chance that you will also benefit from that relationship. Looking online can help you narrow down a lawyer that specializes in what you need — a divorce lawyer practices very different law than a defense attorney.
Most law offices offer a free consultation. It is wise to utilize that hour to make sure that the lawyers you have researched will be a good fit. Come in with a list of questions that you will want to ask during that time. Some good questions are:
- What experience do they have in your type of legal matter?
- How long have they been in practice?
- What is their track record?
- What are their fees and how are they structured?
- What may additional costs be involved in addition to lawyer fees (postage, filing fees, copy fees, etc.)?
- How often will you be billed?
- Can they provide references from other clients?
- How will they inform you of developments in your case?
- You will also want to ask them what are the risks with your particular case. Every legal case has risks, so if they assure you that there will be no issues; this may not be a trustworthy lawyer.
- Finally, you want to assess how you feel working with them. Is this someone that you will feel comfortable asking your questions and voicing your concerns? If the legal process takes some time, are you willing to continue working with them over some time? Is there a good chemistry match?
After meeting with a few different lawyers, make sure that you compare and contrast what you found out in your consultations. When you find a lawyer that matches the qualities that you are looking for, you have seen yourself the right lawyer for you.
If you find yourself needing legal representation, we would love to meet with you for a free consultation. Please feel free to call us today! We would like to be the right lawyer for you.